Skip to main content

Thoughts From A Former FFA Member

One of the best decisions I ever made was in sixth grade when I joined my school's chapter of the National FFA Organization.

When I was in the first grade, my dad answered the call to start an agricultural education and FFA program at the small private school at which I was attending. The school, having students in from kindergarten to twelfth grade, was composed of a large population of students from rural America- many of which made up our agricultural program.

The summer between my fifth and sixth-grade year, my dad took me with the chapter to the North Carolina State FFA Convention, where I was able to hear the retiring address of one of the FFA state officers. And although I can't remember her name or face, I do recall that the officer's address was about the importance of making a difference in the lives of others, even if it is difficult. To the surprise of the audience, the officer closed her speech by pulling her hair into a ponytail, pulling a pair of scissors out of her pocket, and snip. She cut her own hair in front of five thousand students to use as a donation to a company that makes wigs for children with cancer. This officer made a difference in someone's life, just like she had been telling her audience to do her entire year in office.

At the sound of the scissors, I knew I was going to be joining this organization, which makes a difference in the lives of students daily through agricultural education.

It has been eight years since that day, and I would not go back and do anything differently. The National FFA Organization and the 60,000 members who wear the blue jacket has allowed me to travel across the country and make friendships that will last forever. Even though I retired my official dress this past October after receiving my American FFA Degree, I will never retire the lessons FFA has taught me.

As I start the next phase of my life, I wish the present and future members of this organization the best of luck. Take every opportunity presented to you; make as many friends as possible; try out for that officer position; work hard to prepare for that competition.

And, most importantly, regret nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to

"How are you feeling?" Restless. I feel like I should constantly be moving and shaking. Since my last post, a lot has happened. I was assigned a resident advisor position for next school year, accepted a summer internship at the United States Department of Agriculture, declared my major, got a boyfriend and broken up with him, and pierced my upper earlobes. All of these life-altering events, plus a few others I have probably forgotten, have left me with this idea that life as I understand it is transitioning. It's like seeing the wave build up in the distance, but having no way to prepare for it crashing into the shore.  Maybe a part of it is anxiety, or possibly me finally saying "enough" and trying to embrace opportunities while they are available, but I am feeling this constant need to experience life. My family for as long as I can remember every new year comes up with a different word to categorized their prayers for that year. This is the first time ...

What It Means To Be Female

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will."  —  Charlotte Brontë  ( Jane Eyre ) I consider myself a feminist. No, not a feminist that wears pussy hats and goes around screaming about all the ways that men have wronged me. But, a feminist that believes in the power and influence of women and actively seeks out ways to develop myself, and others, to be strong females. I've been thinking about what it means to be a woman trying to be successful, and what success means to me. In my thinking, I've determined that as long as I am happy and the work that I am doing positively impacts those I am serving, I will be successful. I've determined that speaking up for myself and always trying to find the joy in a situation is key and that reminding myself that yes, I am female but also yes, that does not stop me from working to fulfill my ambitions and dreams.  Being female means when I am walking to the store close to da...

The Tobacco Road Traveler

In eastern North Carolina, where I grew up, many of our popular highways (such as 301 and I- 40) are known as “Tobacco Road.” Basketball fans will know this as the area where rival schools (Duke, UNC- Chapel Hill and NC State, and Wake Forest) can be found within a thirty-mile radius of each other. Merriam- Webster Dictionary refers to tobacco road as an “impoverished rural community.” However, to me, I know it as home. Tobacco Road was the route I took every day to school while my family was expanding our cattle operation by opening a slaughter and processing facility. I would use often times use Tobacco Road to explore new towns (and brunch menus) with my family and friends. Tobacco Road is also the path which I will drive to Brevard College, where I will be majoring in Environmental Studies and Sustainable Agriculture.   Through the Tobacco Road Traveler, I will be sharing my adventures starting an agricultural education program six hours away from home, working for RFD...